Friday, September 21, 2007

2007 Emmy's Recap

Since most of America decided to watch FOOTBALL instead of the Emmy’s (it happens once a year people, would it kill you to watch it?), let me sum the evening up…I got most of the categories wrong (apparently my mind is more in tune with Tony voters than Emmy voters. Who knew? Everyone, that’s who). The show was the first ever to be presented ‘in the round’ (arena-style, with audiences on all sides of the stage). They mae it seem like they were going to be rotating the angle that the awards were presented, but they failed to do so, making the cast of Ugly Betty not so honored ‘just to be nominated.’ In case you’re not one of the tens of people who watched the show, allow me to sum up the ceremony through the awards (the important ones, that is):


Best Drama: Sopranos (would have been a bit humiliating if Heroes beat them out after that tribute starring the 2nd national touring company of Jersey Boys, eh? I didn’t know what was cheesier, the look that Jarrod Spector (Frankie Valli) gave Drew Gehling (Bob Gaudio) towards the finale, or the four members of the Soprano family’s grand entrance through the floor at the end)


Best Comedy: 30 Rock (The next day I added the first season of this show to my Blockbuster Online queue. Just because Tina Fey thanked the “dozens and dozens of fans who watch this show” in her speech).


Best Leading Actor (Drama): James Spader, Boston Legal (Yeah, if I played the same role for 10 years on two different series, I’d bet I’d be a good actor, too.)
Best Leading Actress (Drama): Sally Field, Brothers & Sisters (I’m over the moon that she won. The producers of the awards, however, who had to censor her politically charged rant during her acceptance speech, were not so ecstatic.)


Best Leading Actor (Comedy): Ricky Gervais, Extras (I thought he was in The Riches, which just goes to show how much I know about the actor and the television show. But, like 30 Rock, it is now in my Blockbuster queue).


Best Leading Actress (Comedy): America Ferrera, Ugly Betty (she’s amazing and I love her in every way. She deserved the award tenfold, and if you don’t watch this show you need to start!)


Best Supporting Actor (Drama): Terry O’Quinn, Lost (I think of his acting like I thought of his neon pink silk shirt and black sequined tie…cheesy and over-the-top. But it’s about time someone from the show was recognized, even if I thought it should be Michael Emerson, who plays Ben.)


Best Supporting Actress (Drama): Katherine Heigl, Grey’s Anatomy (Don’t know who I could have thought otherwise, this underdog of Grey’s just became a major leading lady!)


Best Supporting Actor (Comedy): Jeremy Piven, Entourage (I guess he’s good on the show, but I still feel like he doesn’t have to try too hard to pull off ‘sleazy’ on the show.)


Best Supporting Actress (Comedy): Jamie Pressley, My Name Is Earl (She thanked her boyfriend for the gift of her son. Because he’s, (said in a faint, exasperated whisper) “the best thing that’s ever happened to me.” I’m just glad the camera pulled away before they both ripped off their clothes and gave the audience the show they’d been waiting for all evening).

Helen Mirren (who I swear rolls out of bed and she wins an award for it) won Best Actress in a miniseries (which I didn’t even know she did), and some guy from Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee who gave a boring speech won the Actor award for the same category.

But perhaps the biggest award of the night was that for Hoakiest Host of an Awards Show, which was given to Ryan Seacrest by, well, everyone but him. Fueled by jokes about his sexuality (and his past with Terri Hatcher) that only he thought were funny, his failed attempts at singing, goofy costumes that nobody thought were funny, and lackluster jokes earned him the prestigious award. “Seacrest Out,” indeed.

1 comment:

Kim said...

You will love 30 Rock. I do.