Saturday, August 18, 2007

High School Musical 2!

I'm a bad tweeny. I waited until the morning after the premier to watch HSM2. But now I'm watcing it as we speak, and I am already going crazy for this movie. It's like exactly like the original, only the stars are more glammed, and they have twice as many extras.

This movie is supposed to pick up right where the original film ended. So that means that Troy gets a fake tan, gets rid of his highlights, and gets a hipper wardrobe (what kind of high schooler wears Diesel jeans, anyway?), Gabriella manages to look even dorkier, Sharpay gets even bitchier (didn't she have some sort of revelation at the end of the OG?), Ryan somehow becomes EVEN GAYER, Taylor actually starts to look cute, Kelsi goes back to dorkidom, and Martha is upped to supporting role status. Disney is right, character development is so overrated.

Anybody else notice that Yearbook signing at East High greatly resembles an autograph session?

I love how the sound engineers who worked on this soundtrack didn't even attempt to mask the artificial pitch perfection. I mean, who knew Ashley Tisdale can magically duplicate her voice? And sing her own backup without even opening her mouth?!

God, the sexual tension between Troy & Gabriella is driving me insane. Why don't they just bone already?! Oh, right. Disney. (How scandalous would it be if Zac Efron & Vanessa Hudgens came out with a sex tape?!) But aren't they SO talented? I mean, both in the original and the sequel, they can magically learn the songs that Kelsi teaches them without needed the sheet music. And what kind of piano does Kelsi play on that can create bass, guitar, synthesizer and percussion in addition to piano?

The golf scene is hilarious! First of all, who knew Troy was not only a Basketball star, brilliant with singing and dancing, and a golf genius to boot?! And secondly, Troy reminds me of every guy i've ever been interested in...TOTALLY. OBLIVIOUS (as Taylor puts it, "Just because he's a nice guy doesn't mean he's not prone to 'Boy Disease,' forgetting things you shouldn't forget). It annoys me almost as much as Sharpay's tiara. But despite the tiara, Ashley Tisdale steals the scene with her giggling, prancing, and slapstick with Lucas Grabeel and Corbin Bleu.

Ooh, and the plot thickens. Sharpay's new way of winning Troy's heart is to ambush him with dinner reservations, convert him to a golf protoge, and use her parents to get him thinking about scholarships. Very cunning and deceptive, Sharpay. But a date in the pool with Gabriella calls, and I think I can guess which one Troy will choose in the end. But keep it up with those pink golf balls and those amazing hair style, Sharpay, and you may have a chance! You are "skin tone compatible" afterall.

I love Ryan's plotline in this movie. I love how he is "sticking it to the man" and showing up Sharpay with the other Wildcats. I loved his number on the baseball field with Chad (although Corbin Bleu kind of drives me crazy) , and how they are going to perform in the country club's talent show together. And I love how Troy seems to think that something is going on between Gabriella and Ryan (what did I say--TOTALLY. OBLIVIOUS. Too funny).

Sharpay's greatest line of the movie: "Give me a beat!" (She needed the beat to make a dramatic exit. Priceless.). Second favorite: "To tell you the truth, I like you more than I like myself right now. [gasp] Did I just say that?!" And I'm loving the fight scene between Gabriella and Sharpay. FINALLY we see some of the true issues in high school--catty girls, relationship drama, wet and shimmery concrete, dramatic exit lines, bad transitions into breakup songs...maybe I'm getting a bit carried away.

What would a HSM movie be without Vanessa Hudgens sulking as she sings up against a locker, wall, staircase, etc.? And Troy chasing after her (only this is the sequel, Troy! Chasing after her isn't going to work this time! You really screwed up, with your golf swing and Univ. of Alberquerque Letterman's jacket. What you need is a good pep talk with your dad, Coach Bolton, over some burnt hamburgers and some cheesy dialogue. Oh look, here it comes now).

Well here's something I wasn't expecting: A dramatic plot developing breakout song where Troy jumps from climate to climate (grassy field, mountains, sand, back to grass, pond lined with trees, back to grass, finishing up with a cocked knee, arms up in the air on top of the mountain with a mesa in the background...very effective). And of course Troy realizes the error of his ways, and sets things right with everyone. He's Troy Bolton, afterall. Practically perfect in every way. And just to show you how great you are, we'll allow you to kiss Gabriella (FINALLY!) at the end of this one. And that kiss went on and on. Let's hope, for the sake of Disney's wholesomeness, there isn't a third installment to this series. Who knows HOW far they'll go next time!

Aw, I knew everything would turn out well in the end. All it took was a cheap "Breaking Free" rip off, complete with the rest of the Wildcats (and ultimately the entire country club) joining in for the grand finale. Ah, Disney, you destroy me every time. But next time, but a little more effort into the deigital effects. Stars do NOT twinkle like that, and shooting stars also do NOT look like that. And since when do jpanese lanterns float away on their own? Oh, am I getting ahead of myself again?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh lord, I miss you... reading that post makes me think of high school (or was it middle school?) when you'd call me and narrate what was happening on 90210... Or watching "Crossroads" at my house (where my family will no longer live after next week! gah!)

LOVE,
erin