Sunday, June 3, 2007

Legally Blonde the...Musical?

ATTENTION: SPOILERS AHEAD

Yeah, that's right, I saw Legally Blonde. It was a Wednesday matinee on May 23, and the funny thing is that I saw it after having lunch with my friend Jenn who couldn't stop venting about how musical theater has strayed from talent and is now focused more on spectacle and spending as much $ as you can. Needless to say, when she asked me what I was up to for the rest of the day and I said, "I'm going to see Legally Blonde the Musical!" it was a bit awkward.

There is a lot of hype surrounding this show (man, I'm ALL about the hype with these show reviews, aren't I?), but I didn't go in with any expectations. It is Jerry Mitchell's long awaited directorial debut, he choreographed it as well, it received positive reviews from its San Francisco tryout, and its leading lady, Laura Bell Bundy, is the only non-legend nominated for a Tony for Best Leading Actress in a Musical. No pressure, Legally Blonde. None at all.

I was especially curious to see this show for Bundy and the choreography. And I certainly was not disappointed.

I was sitting in the second row of the orchestra, which should be billed as obstructed view at the Palace Theater because the stage is set so high that all of the actors were cut off at their shins. This reminded me of the time I saw 42nd Street from the first row of the orchestra at the Hilton Theater (then the Ford Center for the Performing Arts) and I couldn't see anyone's feet...and it's a tap show! Anyway, despite our obstructed view and my sore neck at the end of the 2.5 hour show (some of thos sets are monstrosities), I was particularly impressed by the ensemble and their abilities to carry out Mitchell's choreography with such vigor and ease. There was tap, Irish clogging, hip-hop, jazz, break dancing, ballet, and any other style you can think og! This show had it all. The opening of Act II, "Whipped Into Shape" is a number where everyone is jumping rope the entire song...while singing and dancing. And not like dinky little hops...we're talking fitness video, break a sweat, get totally winded rope jumping. Seriously, that shit is NOT easy! But they make it look so fun and easy...but I was constantly reminded of the fact that this is one of the biggest and most complex choreographers in the business...I was similarly impressed when I saw Hairspray, and I just felt really lucky to have seen the show for the choreography alone!

Speaking of the ensemble, DAMN were they gorgeous! They were the best part of the show. I read an interview with Laura Bell Bundy where they asked her if it's hard to carry a show, and she said she is actually the one being carried, and it's totally true! Their energy and talent with both their dancing and singing was incomparable...if there was a Tony award for Best Ensemble (hey, why doesn't that exist?), they would definitely take the prize.

Laura Bell Bundy was quite good as well. Not to undermine the size of her role with what I just said above, she really didn't leave the stage once throughout the show (I've done that before, and it's NOT easy!). Her character and demeanor was cute, spontaneous, and energetic, and she even was able to adlib and milk a joke when one of the mics had static onstage, passing it off as someone passing gas. She is very charismatic onstage and will have a long career as a leading lady. My criticism of her performance, however, is that she didn't really bring anything new to the character. I still had Reese Witherspoon's Elle in the back of my head while I was watching. They talk about the musical being more complex and exploring the characters more stuff, but I feel like Bundy merely imitated the character. But then, is there any other way to play Elle Woods? I don't know if it was her choices or the nature of the show that I had a problem with.

The supporting characters were fun to watch as well. Christian Borle brought a freshness and confidence to his slightly-nerdy hearthrob leading man. His voice is pure and strong, and I enjoyed listening to him when he sang. Richard H. Blake was able to convey his asshole side very well with his character, although there wasn't much room in the script for him to develop his character and allow us to care about him for what he was. Michael Rupert was capable as the law school teacher who eventually underestimates Elle's power and intelligence, Nikki Snelson was sadly upstaged by her own abs as Brooke Wyndham, Kate Shindle captured the bitchiness of the competition (with some MAJOR chops! Whew, that girl could hit some notes!), and Andy Karl was hilarious (and sexy) as the UPS Delivery Man. Orfeh, who is nominated for a Tony for Best Supporting Actress in a Musical, impressed me with her vocal abilities, stage prescence and comedic timing, but I didn't feel like she was very electric. There is usually a supporting actor who holds the ability to steal the focus from the lead and take the show, and if anyone did that, it was either Kate Shindle or the Delta Trio. Speaking of the Delta Trio, they were one of the best parts of the show. Acting as Elle's conscience, Dequina Moore, Leslie Kritzer and Annaleigh Ashford were so spot on and hilarious as the featured sorority girls. I couldn't stop laughing at their tiny nuances (definitely a perk for sittig so close up).

All in all this show gets a B from me. While I was not moved by its emotional depth or anything, I had fun and enjoyed the show for what it's worth: A bubble gum pop musical with outstanding talent all around, and plenty of $ to shell out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Я думаю, сколько Вы ошибаетесь. Давайте обсудим. Пишите мне в PM. [url=http://profvesti.ru/o-stroitelstve-domov/68-stroitelstvo-domov-iz-penoblokov.html]петербург ремонт квартир[/url]