Monday, June 4, 2007

Season of finales

I have finally watched (most of) the season finales in my queue, and I feel confident enough to try some witty banter...

Grey's Anatomy~ OMG, how much does this show play with my heart strings? The characters I love may leave. The characters I hate are not only not leaving, but have their sisters joining the show. That's right, I'm talking about Meredith. If you were to tell me three years ago that I would become obsessed with a show where the main character reminds you of everything you hate about Renee Zelwegger, I would have told you to shut the front door. But low and behold, I am not only obsessed with the show, but I can't allow myself to eat during it. Not because I need to keep my attention on the action at all times, but because seeing Ellen Pompeo on the television makes me want to upchuck! And now her sister is coming into the picture. Grrreat. Apparently killing off her mother and step-mother, and having her father disown her isn't enough action for her. It truly is a Grey affair on that show.

I thought the plotline with the stranded climbers was particularly poignant (is the show really that predictable, or am I just getting smarter when it comes to television? The connections between the principals and guest stars are sometimes so obvious it brings on the same feelings of nausea as the character/actress mentioned above). And if George leaves the show, I am going to not only strike Grey's Anatomy, but ABC as a network (but now that Callie has been promoted to Chief of Surgery, I think he'll stick around). And I don't love Kate Walsh as half of the people in the country who are dead obsessed with her, I would much rather have her stick around than introduce a bunch of new interns to stir up even more drama (I think we're donig fine with the recent graduates, thank you ABC). And I hope that when Sandra Oh said, "He's gone," referring to Isaiah Washington, it means he left the show. It would make me extremely happy. Here's hoping they get their shit together over there this summer. Nobody asked for Grey's Anatomy: The New Class, but the way things are going, the ratings in the coming seasons may reflect the drop between Saved by the Bell and SBTB: The New Class. Huh, that joke sounded funnier in my head...

Ugly Betty~ Even though I don't like the elements of the telenovella they have been working in to this show (cue cheesy music), I cannot get enough of this show. Maybe it's America Ferrera. Maybe it's Ana Ortiz. Or Eric Mabius. Or Michael Urie. Or Becki Newton. Or Vanessa Williams (no, it's definitely not her). Or, dare I say it, all of the above? I only hope that Daniel and Alexis Meade are alright...bitch had it coming to her, though. I just hope it wasn't some excuse for Rebecca Romijn to get a nose job, 'cause girlfriend looks good! John Stamos, eat your heart out! The Betty/Henry plotline frustrates me to no end (is it just me, or is he probably really hot in real life?), I hope that Henry's cell phone works in Alberqueque or Santa Fe or wherever he went. But I have a feeling Betty will most likely put it off for a while, what with her sisters fiancee and baby-daddy being killed and all. He did die, right? I mean, he's not going to come back as Santina in two seasons?

Brothers & Sisters~ There is something about this show that kills me every time. I laugh, I cry, I feel like I am the honorary 37th member of the family. Maybe I see a lot of their relationship in my relationship with my family (Sally Field based her character on my mother, I don't know if you knew that. Who does that make me, though? Calista Flockhart? Oh lord.). Maybe it's just brilliant television (on the other hand, if I were Calista Flockhart, I would be marrying Rob Lowe as a California State Senator on the show, and Harrison Ford in real life. Things could be worse). Whatever the reason, I love it all. The cast, the characters, the relationships, the plot. It is such a fresh show, and I'm just glad I was turned on to it. The plotline with Justin going back to Iraq is heartbreaking (not as heartbreaking as that guy from Alias's baby dying) and all too poignant for what is going on in the world today (the show does an awesome job of working in current events...*ahem* WICKED *ahem*). But as brilliant as this show is, I would allow a brief moment of cheese and unrealistic plot twists so they can keep Dave Annable on the show. And if they are not going to keep Eric Winter with Matthew Rhys, can they at least bring back Jason Lewis? Does anybody even know what I'm talking about?

The Bachelor: Officer And A Gentleman~ I'm sorry. I failed with my commentary on The Bachelor. It's just one of those shows that doesn't catch my interest until the very end, and then if I get busy or, say, travel across the country for 10 days, I lose two weeks and before you know it, the show is over. Well, Officer Andy picked the last girl I would have picked for him to end up with (I thought for sure he was going to go for "Bevin the Blonde," but I guess she was just a LITTLE too desperate for him. Hell, she was desperate enough for her own season of The Bachelorette!). I think the only thing he could have seen in Tessa was the fact that she mumbles almost as bad as he does...they are probably the only two people in the world who can understand each other? And Andy hit the nail on the head when he brought the three finalists to Pearl Harbor for a romantic date. Nothing says romance to me like giving up the lei he just gave me to the girls to throw it in the water in rememberance of the victims ("Black Tears"=depressing, not sexy).

In poor Bevin's defense, she was definitely given the short end of the stick. She had the second meeting with the parents (so she was forced to compete with what they already thought about Tessa), and the first final date (so she wasn't the last thing on Andy's mind). She really put herself out there and ended up losing to the girl who could only tell Andy her true feelings through a letter and a dinky photo collage during their last date, and whose biggest compliment to him was, "I freakin' love you!"

Did an episode ever go by where Andy didn't take his shirt off? Not that I'm complaining, but he had a scary body!!

To give you an idea of just how ridiculous Andy and Tessa will be together, here is a transcript of their first encounter:
T: "I have a joke for you: 'Two muffins are put into the oven. One muffin turns to the other muffin and says, "It's hot in here!" And the other muffin screams, "Holy cow! A talking muffin!"'
A: Are we those two muffins?

I'm still trying to figure that one out.

2 comments:

Kim said...

"The Betty/Henry plotline frustrates me to no end (is it just me, or is he probably really hot in real life?)"

Um, probably? How about duh. Real life? How about on the show.

Anonymous said...

Rebecca is a hore and betrater,
and a very bad actress and person!