Saturday, May 5, 2007

I thought she WAS gay!



Michelle Rodriguez (of Lost fame) criticized "Curve" magazine for 'outing' her by putting her on the cover of the lesbian publication. While the cover story never blatantly labels Rodgriguez as a homosexual, she claims that the article attempted to put words in her mouth and attempted to label her as something she's apparently not. Um, I'm confused. I actually thought she DID come out of the closet. I guess being incredibly ambiguous, being in a relationship with a woman, and not speaking up when things happen gets you places you don't necessarily want to go. I can understand the whole 'someone shouldn't have to say they are gay to the public, just as someone shouldn't have to say they are straight' mentality, but I think Rodriguez took the whole thing overboard a bit. There are straight men on the cover of Out and The Advocate all the time. Just because they are on the cover doesn't mean they are gay, but they are being singled out for gay issues, such as being an ally, starring in a gay themed film or show, or being shown extreme interest by the gay community. I think Rodgriguez should live by the 'any publicity is good publicity' mentality, especially since her career hasn't taken off since her character was killed off on Lost almost two seasons ago!

2 comments:

Julia said...

Okay, is Michelle Rodriguez really short, or is her girlfriend super amazon tall? I can't tell from the picture really.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.