Sunday, May 13, 2007

Shortbus is not short on one thing...

...and that is sex. Sex sex sex sex sex. And lots of it! I recently saw this movie for the first time, and lord was I surprised. Granted I saw the unrated version (man I'd love to see what the rated version is like), but for about half of the movie I was sure I was watching a hardcore adult video. We're talking actual sex, people, with all the sweat, sounds, and fluid exchanging included.

With that disclaimer laid out plain and simple, the movie was very touching (no pun intended). And I knew it would be, coming from director John Cameron Mitchell (the mastermind behind Hedwig and the Angry Inch, who also made his Broadway debut understudying Huck Finn in the original production of Big River and also played Dickon (again, no pun intended) in The Secret Garden. What a talented jackass). The film's content shocks you from the first minute in order to get you on board for the candid issues the characters face, and turns out to be a surprisingly poignant and moving piece.

So if you like crazy-out there movies, are not offended by sex (and I don't mean sex as usually depicted on film. I mean actual sex. Can't say that enough), then definitely check out this movie!!

1 comment:

Kim said...

I hadn't heard much about it, but now I definitely want to see it!